Willkomen! In the luscious countryside of Bavaria you will find breathtaking castles, black forests and Bavaria state capital and third largest city in Germany; Munich. Home to one of the world’s largest food and drink festivals, Oktoberfest, Munich has a lot more to offer than just great food and drink.
1. the MUST see… You are in the city headquarters of BMW! So of course the ‘must see’ is the BMW Museum! See the history of the brand and the superb German engineering that made their engines race throughout the years.
2. the MUST eat… It can be hard to say which is the best restaurant, but there is an easy solution – Viktualienmarkt. Viktualienmarkt is an area in downtown of over 140 stalls offering everything under the sun with regards to food. Take a long stroll through Bavarian history and culture via your eyes and stomach.
3. the MUST shop… For that unique gift for someone or yourself why not wander around some of the best flea markets in Germany? Ask at your hotel for Flomarkt (also check the dates as they vary), there are locations throughout the city. Also try Nachtflohmarkt which are open at night.
4. the MUST stay… If you are in town for Oktoberfest and want to be within walking distance of the fairgrounds look to the Sofitel Munich Bayerpost next to the main train station. Don’t miss out on their wonderful spa. Yet for those with a preference for utmost in luxury, look to the Mandarin Oriental. In either case you’d better book months in advance. Seriously, hotels fill up very quickly.
5. the MUST do off the beaten path… Walt Disney drew his inspiration for Sleeping Beauty’s Castle from the royal castle of Ludwig II. Neuschwanstein Castle is less than a two hour drive and well worth a day trip to see it in person as pictures cannot do it justice.