Tuscany is a central region of Italy and its capital is Florence. Known as the birthplace of Renaissance, Florence is often ranked among the most beautiful cities in the world. If you find the need to slow down your fast paced lifestyle, then take a break to Florence and recharge your mind, body, spirit and soul. La dolce vita indeed!
1. the MUST see… The David. Undoubtedly one of the greatest works of art in the world, Michelangelo’s masterpiece must be seen in person to truly appreciate. In movies and films the replicas are nowhere near the size of the original. Very few times in my life have I been in awe of something and this is one that must be seen to be appreciated.
2. the MUST eat… I’Tuscani 2 is an Italian Steakhouse that specializes in Florentine Beef. Try the cold cuts plate. Reservations are a must.
3. the MUST shop… Mercato Centrale and Mercato San Lorenzo are right next to each other (Centrale is indoors and Sam Lorenzo is outdoors). While Centrale is more for foods and local produce, San Lorenzo is your typical flea market. If upscale shopping is what you desire just take a stroll down Via de’ Tornabuoni and you will see Armani, Dior, Hermes, Gucci, Prada and every other famous Italian designer shop on this street.
4. the MUST stay… In the heart of the historical district and within minutes of the Duomo and other sights is San Firenze Suites. Piazza Signora is just a one minute walk away. It has recently been restored and the hotel has a spa which is perfect for relaxing your feet and back after long days roaming the town.
5. the MUST do off the beaten path… Over the Arno River is Pitti Palace. It is a Renaissance Palace and Art Gallery. Be sure to walk through the beautifully landscaped Boboli Gardens. In fact, the entire area surrounding Pitti is just lovely to walk through. Most parks and gardens on early mornings in this area will be filled with couples taking wedding photos. It’s amore!