After trying nearly all the flavours I could think of, I decided to go extreme and try more exotic ingredients. Four Spices Cake is a cake with four different spices. Some are usually used in desserts and some are mostly used in savoury dishes. The spices I will be using for this recipe are Cinnamon, Cardamom, Turmeric and Curry Powder. Yes, I know the ingredients might sound intimidating, but once you try this cake, you will fall in love!
You will need:
For the cake:
- 2 and 1/2 cups (312g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup canola (240ml) or vegetable oil
- 1 and 3/4 cups (350g) packed dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated apple (optional)
For the frosting:
- 2 cups (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 cups (360g) confectioners’ sugar, plus an extra 1/4 cup if needed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1.Preheat the oven to 350oF (177oC) and grease a 9×13 inch pan. I always use a glass pan.
2.Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and other spices together in a large bowl. Set aside.
3.Whisk the oil, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract together in a medium bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Fold in the grated apple (if using) until combined.
4.Spread batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Baking times vary, so keep an eye on yours. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you find the top of the cake is browning too quickly in the oven, loosely cover it with aluminum foil.
5.Remove the cake from the oven and set on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely. After about 45 minutes, I usually place it in the refrigerator to speed things up.
6. Beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy. Add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and salt. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then switch to high speed and beat for 2 minutes. Spread the frosting on the cooled cake. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving. This helps sets the frosting and makes cutting easier.
I hope you will love this cake as much as I do. You can skip the frosting and add a scoop of French vanilla ice-cream, as I do sometimes.
Remember: Bake for love and bake with love!
Let me know how your recipe turns out: www.sherisnovember.wordpress.com
Bon appetite!< Back