Back to school means back to reality for moms. The most hectic time of year is here! You might not have enough time to treat yourself with a massage or a shopping trip, but you absolutely have time to do some good old baking – at least on the weekend! Here is a recipe I am obsessed with lately – Coffee Brownies! As if the sound of it does not scream MOST NEEDED, this recipe will give you the energy and the caffeine you need to go ahead and continue being ‘super mom’.
You will need:
- 8 tablespoons (1stick) unsalted butter, plus butter for the pan
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus flour for the pan
- 2 cups of chocolate chips or chocolate bar
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease the sides and bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan with butter and coat lightly with flour.
2) Melt the chocolate and the 8 tablespoons of butter in a small bowl over a pot of barely simmering water.
3) Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until the mixture is fluffy and pale yellow. Whisk in the espresso, cinnamon, vanilla and salt until well combined.
4) Very slowly add the chocolate/butter to the egg mixture and mix until thoroughly combined. Add the 2/3 cup flour into the batter and mix well.
5) Grease the baking pan with butter then add a little flour. Pour the brownie batter into the greased pan.
6) Bake the brownies in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. You can check if they’re done by sticking a toothpick right in the middle.
Cool the brownies before cutting. You can add vanilla ice cream on top when you serve it. I’ve also tried pouring on top a cup of espresso as soon as the brownies are out of the oven. This emphasizes on the taste of coffee.
You can always use decaf espresso in your recipe if you don’t need the caffeine.
Remember: Bake for love and bake with love!
Let me know how your recipe turns out: